The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition that provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis. Students work in teams to research and analyse a publicly traded company. Teams write a research report on their assigned company with a buy, sell, or hold recommendation and may be asked to present and defend their analysis to a panel of industry professionals.
The New Zealand competition of the 2018 Research Challenge
This event was held on 5 October 2018, at KPMG Auckland.
The winning team was University of Waikato who will go on to compete at the Asia Pacific Regional competition 28-29 March, in Sydney. In second place was Auckland University of Technology and the University of Auckland was third.
All eight New Zealand universities competed. The other universities were; Lincoln University, Massey University, University of Canterbury, University of Otago, Victoria University of Wellington.
Photos from the event are on Facebook
The winning University of Waikato team, pictured above (left to right); Loren Morse, Duncan Nixon, Jack Montgomerie, Matthew Montgomerie [Jack and Matthew are second cousins], Patrick Washer.
Loren Morse presenting
The 2018 participants and their mentors
CFA Society New Zealand would like to extend our sincere thanks to the following people and organisations for their part in making the local Research Challenge a success:
- The teams and their mentors
- The judges: Andrew Bolland, Salt Funds Management; Chelsea Leadbetter, Forsyth Barr; Matt Dunn, Forsyth Barr
- The organisation being analysed, this is Comvita for the 2018 competition
- Kaplan Schweser for sponsorship
- KPMG for hosting the event
- James Boyle, Meridian Energy, for his organisation and expertise project managing the competition