There are three membership types, primarily dependent on your level of work experience:
- Regular membership is intended for those with at least 48 months of appropriate work experience. If you have completed all three levels of the CFA Program you must become a regular member to receive your Charter.
- Affiliate membership is intended for those with less than 48 months of appropriate work experience. Affiliate members are members of the CFA Institute and have access to CFA Institute resources.
- Candidate membership is intended for candidates enrolled in Level 1 of the CFA Program. It does not provide membership of the CFA Institute. Upon passing Level 1 we hope that you advance to regular or affiliate membership to take advantage of the benefits of CFA Institute membership.
You do not need to have completed the CFA Program, or even intend to undertake the CFA Program, to become a member of the CFA Institute and the CFA Society of Melbourne (‘CFAM’).
The table below summarises the three membership options:
Regular and affiliate members are required to demonstrate understanding of the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct. This can be demonstrated by:
- Passing Level 1 of the CFA Program or
- Completing the CFA Institute’s self-administered Standards of Practice Handbook exam which is free of charge and takes between 30 minutes and one hour.
* Only two professional references are required if one of the references is a regular member of the CFA Society of Melbourne.
The membership year runs from 1 July to 30 June and is not pro-rated.
If you have any queries regarding membership options please contact us.