Ethics …. Hasn’t it all been said before?
Date: Friday, 21 June, 2019
Where: First State Super, Level 21, 83 Clarence St, Sydney
Time: 12:15pm for 12:30pm start till 1:45pm (lunch included)
Cost: $15 members and $30 guests
Contact Emma Phillips for any questions
Two millennia of writing, debate, courses, papers, books, conferences, lectures, preaching and Royal Commissions on ethics ensures we’ve heard it all before. Yet hearing and doing seem separated by a bridgeless chasm. Why?
Questions we hope to address (if not resolve) include:
- What are the behavioural, economic, cultural and institutional barriers to Finance behaving more ethically, to being more trusted?
- Is the Finance Industry less ethical than other industries?
- How should we promote individual and institutional role models?
- Should the Industry become a Profession?
- Are there any absolute ethical principles?
- How do/should we manage the profit/ethics trade-off?
- Do ethical investing, ESG and impact investing transcend the feel-good effect?
- Is Shareholder Value a major barrier to more ethical practices?
We expect this session to be open and interactive driven by real-life examples. To that end please spend some time reflecting on the above questions and others you want to discuss. If you are able to share questions and/or comments anonymously in advance, this would certainly help drive the discussion. Please complete the questions here.
CFA Society Sydney has determined that this program qualifies for 1 CE credit in the content areas of Standards, Ethics, and Regulations (SER), under the guidelines of the CFA Institute Continuing Education Program. If you are a CFA Institute member, use the member app to record your CE credit for your participation in this presentation. This is not done automatically.